Sunday, March 25, 2012

Contaminated Water-Corey Milewski

1.8 billion people still drinking contaminated water
By: ANI
Published On: March 24, 2012
URL for article: http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2012/03/24/319-1-8-bln-people-still-drinking-contaminated-water.html


Picture: This is a picture of a person that is drinking contaminated water. 


Summary: At the University of North Carolina they have done research on peoples drinking water. They believe that more people are drinking contaminated water then headlines suggests. A goal was launched to improve drinking water but UNC's study has estimated that about 1.8 billion people still consume contaminated water. This number is over 1 billion more people that headlines mentions. People think that if water is coming from an improved source it is clean, but by the time they drink that water it will be contaminated. Out of 5.8 people that have water from pipes UNC's study estimates that 1 billion people are still receiving contaminated water. A lot of water sources have been improved but a lot more has to be done. 

Opinion: I have never thought about what is in the water I am drinking. After reading this I am shocked to see how many people are consuming contaminated water. I always walk to my sink and get a glass of water but I never stop and think if its clean. This article made me think if my tap water is clean. I think it is good that people are trying to improve water sources and I hope to see that number go down. This article opened my mind to a different issue in the United States. 

Questions: 

1. Do you think this issue needs to be taken care of soon? why? 

2. Have you ever asked yourself about the water you are drinking? what were your thoughts? 

3. What do you think drinking contaminated water can do to you in the future? explain. 








5 comments:

  1. Opinion/Refection: I am surprised how many people have been drinking contaminated water. This is an appalling article. I never thought about what the water I am drinking has in it. I agree with Corey when he says that he believes it is good that people at University of North Carolina are trying to improve water sources. I hope the number of contaminated water sources decrease as the issue becomes more known. If people continue to drink and use water at the rate they do in the United States, I believe that there is more of a chance to be drinking contaminated water. The fact that 1.8 billion people consume contaminated water is scary because there is about 7 billion living on earth today. This means that about 1/7th of the world’s population could potentially be harmed by unsafe drinking water. From the article that I found and blogged about, I know that there are over 800 million people who do not have access to clean drinking water in third-world places around the world. This just opens my eyes to how many people do not have what I think is a simple thing like clean drinking water.

    Answer to Question #1: The issue on contaminated drinking water must be taken care of sooner rather than later. It could harm anyone who drinks it because it clearly is not meant to be there. Contaminated drinking water could even potentially kill someone if there is a high level of contaminants. It needs to be taken care of soon because it is doing hard to the people and environment. If the issue is not handled, people could continue to drink unsafe water without even knowing. Even if this issue is not dealt with, people should still be told about it to allow them to take safe precautions when drinking their water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opinion/reflection: I agree with Jen and Corey that this is very shocking. Knowing that about 1.8 billion people that drink contaminated water is absolutely sickening. But, I am very glad to hear that UNC is trying to help improve drinking water. I am very shocked though by the fact if water is coming from an improved source it is uncontaminated and clean but by the time someone drinks the water it becomes contaminated. That is very concerning and grotesque. I can relate this to what we are learning in class now though. We are learning about pH scales and how something can be acidic, nuetral or a base. Water is suppose to be nuetral and not having anything bad in it but when it becomes contaminated it can become a base or acidic which can really harm people and make them sick.

    Answer to question 1: I believe this issue needs to be taken care of immediately. This can be very harmful for many people all around the world. If something is not done about this many people can become very sick. If this is not taken care of soon then it will just get worse and worse and the contaminated water will just become more common all around the world. The ammount of people who drink contaminated water will go up and that will be very bad because it will make a lot of people sick and unhealthy. I hope soon this problem can be taken care of so everyone can have clean, helathy water to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very shocking discovery. 1.8 billion people are drinking contaminated water and this is very unhealthy. Diseases could be spread and it could turn very badly if they do not stop this. Corey mentioned that headlines are telling the truth, maybe if they did, this whole situation could be under control. As Jen said, 1/7th of the population is drinking unsafe water. If it is not stopped, even more than that will end upo drinking contaminated water. I really hope that this whole situation gets under control and eventually, nobody will drink unsafe water.

    Answer to question 2: Yes, I have wondered about the water I drink. You never really know where the water is coming from so there is a chance that it is contaminated. I do not really like having to worry about it, but this issue is becoming bigger and I can't really help but worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinion/Reflection:
    First of all just looking at the picture disgusts me. I hope I'm not drinking contaminated water. I don't understand how they let us drink contaminated water. They definitely have to keep working and trying to find a way to uncontaminated the water because I know that no one wants to be drinking that water. The contamination could lead to sickness and just cause more problems throughout the world. I agree with Jen that I was surprised to find out about the water we are drinking. I never would have really known or took much interest into it but now I am nervous about the water in my house. I at least hope the 1.8 billion people drinking contaminated water lowers soon.

    Answer to question #1:
    I believe that the issue needs to be taken care of fast. It is just disgusting to drink the water. Its to be taken care of because there are multiple diseases that can come out of the contaminated water. Also there will become a larger amount of people drinking the water and soon it will almost be our entire planet. We need to figure out a way to get this done quickly before it gets out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eco friendly product reviews featuring clean water, energy savings, prepper sites and sustainable energy products.

    http://values.cc


    This is also our new website for our earlier comment about the University of Alabama solar desalination product.

    ReplyDelete